Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thing 11: LibraryThing

This was fun to play around in. The latest blog post concerned the booth LibraryThing had at the recent ALA conference. I checked into it, and viewed the catalog of the Richardson Public Library. It has added LibraryThing for Libraries to its catalog. The enhancement shows up by adding "Similar Books" and "Tags" categories to the left of each title. This is very handy to supply recommendations for readalikes and a wordcloud way to access books rather than a subject search.

It will be very handy for me to catalog my home library of children's books. My current method of searching all 5 bookcases, vaguely remembering a title, is very inefficient. This will make my home library as easy to use as my school library. I did check into the groups (two of the three gave me an error message), and saw how this site can truly keep the book addict in more recommended pages than she/he could read in an uninterrupted lifetime!

I also discovered that I'm not reading nearly enough quality titles. I need to quit joining and rejoining those book clubs via mail. Their repeated tempting offers to send me 5 books for 99 cents have filled my "need to read" shelf with none of the books that I see reviewed and shared as favorites. This site will be a source for more literate titles to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment